Wednesday, August 24, 2011

School Step 2

We have decided to continue the process of considering services through school.  At this point, I don't intend to send Deane to a full day program because I'm not sure he's prepared emotionally or that it would be as beneficial as the one on one services he's receiving for the coming year.

The second step for us after observing the classrooms, was a "Domain" meeting where all of the staff and service providers met with me to see what evaluations and reports are currently available, what evaluations/observations they need to do and get my permission to move forward on those items. 

I found our local "team" very welcoming and open in this initial meeting.  Those present included the principal, social worker, school speech therapist, school psychologist, external contracted occupational therapist, general education preschool teacher, and special education preschool teacher. 

I agreed to move forward with all of the necessary evaluations because I believe it's important to understand how this district will work now or for future years.  It's really the primary opportunity to "shop" the school to find out if this is right for Deane.  Next week the evaluations will begin.

During this process, I've been referring to two books in addition to consulting some very helpful people.  Those books are:

The Complete IEP Guide
How to Compromise with your School District without Compromising your Child

No comments:

Post a Comment