Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Recent vocabulary surprises

One of my personal challenges is understanding how Deane will go from the language delayed place he communicates in now to a fully coversational place.  His challenges have taught me how nuanced and confusing our language is.  However, he has surprised me with a few things recently.

1. He started using articles.  Speech therapists often teach "I want..." to get a back and forth exchange over an activity and teach a child how to express their needs.  Deane has suddenly started adding articles, for example "I want A banana".  No one taught him this.  He is extrememly echoic (repeats everything back to you), but this signifies that he is modeling a general language concept....very exciting to this mama!

2. As we crossed the bridge into Muscatine, I said, "Deane, do you see the bridge?".  He said "That's crazy".  Where did that come from?  I love bridges and I've appreciated that he seems interested too, but this comments just caught me off guard.

3. As a precursor to trying potty training again, I encourage him to tell "Mom, I pooped" when he does.  I'm trying to find out how aware he is of it.  I know that sounds nuts, but for Deane it's not really a problem to run around in a poopy diaper.  Last night, I knew he had so I said "Did you poop? What do you say?  Mom..." and he said "is poop".  I clarified several times and he said "Mom is poop" everytime with a great big smile.  He was teasing me and as strange as it is to be happy about being called poop, I've told several people already :)

We'll get there....

No comments:

Post a Comment