Monday, August 29, 2011

Dimensional Framing Idea & Special Print

I acquired this print awhile back (ummm, August 2010!) with the intention of hanging it above my desk in the mud room.  I knew I didn't want to pay to custom frame it and eventually decided I needed a less conventional way to present it.
I liked the idea of "floating" a frame over the print and found an old frame at the Vintage Button.  I cleaned it and painted it to match our woodwork.  I used Ceramcoat in Light Ivory Opaque 02401, found at JoAnn's Fabrics.  It took three coats.
   
 I decided to mount the print with double sided adhesive foam like this so that the print was about a 1/4 inch off of the wall.
 
The frame had a couple of screws from a previous use on each end.
Chris used picture hangers with the original screws to give it that dimension out from the wall.  I hung it to optimize the image versus to be centered over the print.
I'm really happy with the final look and to finally have my print where I can see it everyday.
I'll leave the mess that surrounds it for another day and completely ignore the irony of the "Simplify" sign on my shelf.

About the print:  I purchased this because it reminded me of Deane and myself.  I was rather pregnant with Kate and probably clinging to some of that worry that my focus on my first child would dissipate a lot with a new baby (guess I didn't need to worry about that!).  I suppose any brunette mom with a little blond boy could see themselves in his print.  It came from this Etsy shop.  In recent months as I planned to frame it, it has brought tears to my eyes several times. To me, it now represents my leading Deane into the world, a place that is confusing and frustrating to him.  Little by little, he is less secluded as he gets more comfortable communicating with and engaging others.  I feel certain he knows I will always go before him and protect him.

I'm linking up with these linky parties: Home Stories A to Z, Tip Junkie, At Home with K, Not Just a Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment