Monday, September 19, 2011

Toilet Paper "Art"

Some months back, I came across this post on a children's craft site, and I thought this could be more than kids art.  From there I began with my first toilet paper/paper towel roll "art" piece, seen here:

I generally followed their concept. 

I'm working on a much larger project now, but here are the step by steps:
1. Use TP or PT rolls that are clean of paper remnants and flatten with your hands.
2. Measure out and mark desired width of petals.  For the above project I used .75", but pictured is about .5" petals.

3. Cut apart into petals.

4. Arrange petals into desired shape.  For the above project, most of my flowers were 5 petals, but some were smaller.  I used Tacky Glue to adhere the petals to each other.


5. I used bobby pins to hold them together.  I typically let whatever I worked on each day sit overnight, but I'm sure it doesn't require that long to set.


6. I made about a dozen flowers before beginning to arrange them.  I then filled in sparse areas with a petal here or there until I liked the design and began glueing the larger design together.  For this project, I used approximately 225-250 petals.

This is one part of an ongoing decorating project on the wall above our family room TV cabinet.  It was easy and free since I already had the glue and TP/PT rolls.  Since I started doing this, I've had a few people provide their rolls to me as well so I won't soon run out of supplies!

There are endless possibilities with shapes that can be created, painting the piece, etc.  I've started a Pinterest board of TP art ideas.  My current project is a take off of the turquoise project pictured there.

6 comments:

  1. Great job! I love your design. I did a similar project for my sunroom! Check it out: http://afabulesshome.blogspot.com/2011/08/toilet-paper-roll-wall-art.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really great!! I've been working on something too.....I have like a billion tp rolls!! lol!!


    looking forward to more of your posts!!
    Newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, this is very fun and inexpensive. I think I am going to incorporate this into Eden's first birthday party. Wish you guys could be here for it! I am going with a whimsical owl theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing! I love how it looks AND how "green" it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Maury
    Your project is beautiful! Thanks for sharing and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Making the Most Lish - I love that idea! So many adorable owl projects showing up in my google reader. I hope you will share the pictures. If you've look at my Pinterest, I have a board for Kate's birthday. I can't decide between rainbows and you are my sunshine. Love you!

    ReplyDelete