Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 - When the world stopped turning

One of my objectives of my blog is to share the story of our life for our kids.  I can't recall anything as pivotal during my lifetime as the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
Winter Garden Atrium near WTC in 2000.  View photo of damage before reconstruction.
Chris and I returned on Monday, September 3, 2011 from our engagement trip to New York City. It was a strange connection that just 8 days later this massive tragedy occurred where we had just shared such a special time. I will always remember that whenever we told others about how we got engaged, they would respond with a sort of wowed sadness because 9/11 was such a part of everyone's day to day consciousness.
Chris and I visiting the plaza area between WTC buildings in 2000

That's me standing in front of "The Sphere" in between the twin towers.
My own personal "where were you" story is:
I had class in the auditorium at the Pappajohn Building (business school at Iowa) at 9 or 9:30 that Tuesday morning. I believe it was Microeconomics.  Just beforehand, I went to the Copy Center and someone said a plane hit the World Trade Center. I remember thinking "that sounds bad", but I had absolutely NO idea what this really meant. When we got to class, I think the teacher mentioned something was going on, but we continued with class. I really don't think we had any concept of what was really happening or the impact it would have. I remember there was a delay and confusion about whether what happened was intentional or an accident until the second plane hit, but those of us that weren't watching television didn't see this realization set in.  It wasn't until I returned to our apartment at 115 N. Dubuque that I understood that buildings were falling in downtown Manhattan, people were dying, panic was everywhere, and that people actually wanted to kill Americans.
I remember watching the TV constantly for the following days and all conversations revolving around what had happened.
A photo I took of the skyline prior to the attacks from a harbor tour boat
It's amazing that my own children will never know what the world was like before these extremists altered our feeling of security and defined terror in a very tangible way. It is my prayer that we continue to honor those that were lost and their families by appreciating the liberty we enjoy so that the intened message of this devestation is never fully known by our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment