Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Making of a Cars Party

Here are the few experiments I worked on for Deane's Cars 3rd Birthday Party.  All are based on images I found and pinned on Deane's Birthday Pinterest board.

Cake
This was the first birthday cake I've made for my kids, but I saw this example and wanted to give it a go.  I did a step by step because I would have appreciated one myself.  For the cakes I used this recipe based on Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Cake.  The layers were pretty thin even though I increased the recipe size for 4 9" rounds.  I would just double the cake recipe, but not increase the frosting portion.
 Here are my four rounds stacked, two on top of each other.  I froze them all for about two hours after cooling to make them easier to carve.  I did shave the middle sections so they would fit together to shape a better 3.
 I carved a 3 out of the top layer only.  I had put a thin layer of frosting between layers.
Frosted the entire thing; wasn't going for overly smooth.
I ground up about 1/2 container of Oreos and used a teaspoon to sprinkle it on the 3.  Again, I was somewhat careful, but it's good to do this level first since there will likely be spillage.
I dyed a small bag of coconut with green food coloring to make the grass infield.
I created a border for the track with yellow, red, orange and blue M&Ms.

The dashes are 1/3 of a piece of Orbitz.  The wintergreen flavor is white (as opposed to the other mint flavors which are light green).
I used 100 calorie dark chocolate Fudge Stripes around the outside for the wall of tires.
I couldn't find the chequered flag ribbon as the original creator suggested and tried to use a paper one I made, but neglected to adhere it when the frosting was still fresh.  I don't think it was a necessity. The cake was moist, but denser than a typical birthday cake.  It tasted just as a remember Magnolia Bakery's vanilla cupcake tasting.  I did purchase the Lightning McQueen and Mater for $3.50 each, but I made my own flags by printing the chequered print and glued them around half of a skewer.
Applauding himself after nearly burning off his hair.  Mom was helping him, but since he doesn't know how to blow well, he managed one of the candles himself and she got the other two.
"3" Photo Board
 Decoupaged these photos that I printed on card stock so they would handle the adhesive better.

Paper Banner
 It says "Deane is 3"  I used my Cricut and downloaded Cars images and chequered flag print.  I cut various sizes of rectangles and rectangular frames and the letters and used my Modge Podge to make each section.

Custom T-shirts
(Photos out of focus because he was not interested in having his photo taken.

Step 1:  I cut out the 3 and Heart using my Cricut and the Lightning Bolt was something I found on Google images.  I printed and cut these out on card stock.
Step 2: Lay them over the fabric you are using to see how much fabric you need. 
Step 3: Lay the iron on product on the fabric piece you need and cut the same amount.  Iron on as described on product.
 Step 4: Trace your cut out card stock upside down on the surface of the iron on product.

Step 5: Cut out images and place on the clothing item (or whatever you are using) to check placement.  Remove the back paper and iron on as described on product packaging.  There are some iron on products that can be sewn and some that you are not supposed to sew.  The one pictured above is the latter.


It was a nice afternoon with some of Deane's favorite people.  It was great to have all of my grandparents here.
 Group picture (almost everyone included).  It was perfect because Deane just opened up one present at a time while we all snacked and talked so he got to enjoy each one.
 My Mom with the babies crawling all over her.
 My Dad showing Deane the fake butterfly in a mason jar I found at Wal-Mart.  He is still very interested in butterflies.  I will say that this gift is sort of annoying now that it's been sitting on my counter a couple days just flitting around.
My Dad with Kate, just cuddling.

Our dinner menu:
Snacks - homemade salsa, chex mix, veggie & ranch dip
Chick Hick's Chicken with Sally's Sauces - Chicken Cutlets with Basil-Parsley Sauce and/or Meat Sauce
Mater's Taters - red, white and blue mini-potatoes with Olive oil and Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Flo's Fruit Salad
and of course, the King's CAKE, with ice cream


No comments:

Post a Comment