Monday, September 26, 2011

Fall Home Updates

I haven't been inspired to decorate for seasons other than Christmas for the last few years.  Maybe it's always having a little baby or being pregnant, but this year (even though the kids are still a handful), I wanted to make an effort.  I knew I didn't want to spend much to decorate so I shopped my old decorations and took my Google Reader full of creative blogs for inspiration.  Here are a few little Fall updates I did with decorations or materials I had in my possession.

Entry
Before:
 After: not substantial, but subtle with some bright colors that I enjoy each time I pull in the driveway.
Half Bath

I used these mini gourds to create another use for my olive tray. I am super proud of finding another purpose for the tray since I rarely get them out.
I ended up placing it in my half bath. 

TV Cabinet
Before:
After:
I used a wreath and candelabra from our wedding on the right side.  On the left (and shown up close) is a pumpkin I already had with some faux hypericum berries (also from our wedding) with a free printable from While I Was Napping that I just stuck in a frame I already had.


Mantle:
Before:
After:
I again used a pumpkin that I had on the left.  I switched out the plate for a taller metal vase that offset the painting after I moved it down.  The part I'm most excited about are the FALL bottles.  I found the inspiration for this here.  I don't have a Silhouette as she used and again wanted to stick with what was available for free to me.  My awesome cousin Zack made his own beer and shared some with Chris.  Chris has been storing the bottles to return to Zack so I borrowed them (thanks Zack!).  Here's how I made them:

1. I cleaned the bottles because apparently Chris doesn't do this after he drinks them...ewww.
2. I used my Cricut to cut the letters from this Fall shaded scrapbook paper.  I cut a letter from each area.  If you don't have a Cricut or Silhouette, you could find the letters in a Google image search and cut them out or make them in Word (or whatever similar program you use) even.
 3.  I didn't want to ruin the bottles so I affixed the letters with these foam square adhesives.
 It's not perfect as you can see the square when you are upclose, but the goal is accomplished.  If you weren't worried about saving the bottles, I would use Modge Podge to permanently adhere the letters.

4. I had the below decoration from Target from several years ago, but I think you could use any kind of filler flower, tall grasses, etc. I just cut it apart and sorted bundles to put into each bottle.
 5. There was some rafia in a natural shade tied around the wheat decoration, so I tied a couple pieces around each bottle and trimmed them somewhat short.


This was fun and very satisfying since I didn't have to spend a dollar to get this little Fall update.  What do you have lying around that could be re-purposed into decor?  Happy Autumn!

To look at a few of my other favorite Fall decoration ideas, you can visit my Autumn Pinterest board.

3 comments:

  1. Fun updates! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5! Love the wreath on the door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michelle Thanks, Michelle, for taking time to visit my link and comment! I really appreciate it and will keep linking up with DIY Under $5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the decorations! newest follower, Karima

    ReplyDelete