Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Making it Thanksgiving-ey

I did a little bit of Fall add ins to my decor earlier this Autumn, but I felt we needed a few more touches to celebrate Thanksgiving. 

I had an idea for a burlap message board awhile back using...a burnt up jelly/cookie pan.  I was so happy I could upcycle this item rather than throwing it away.  I would only use it when everything else was in use and it ALWAYS burnt whatever I put on it.  But now it has a happier place in my kitchen.
I started with my burnt up pan and some raw burlap

I wrapped and hot glued...and repeat

Until all was fairly tightly wrapped, don't admire the back...
So, I completed this message board and wondered exactly where to put it and how to use it.  So, it sat and waited for Thanksgiving to come.  I got the idea to decorate it for Thanksgiving with seasonal magnets that I made using printables and a little flower I made (again with hot glue). 


You can find the printables on my Autumn Pinterest board.  Also behind the magnets is a "green background" image I printed on cardstock.  I have stuffed recipes and invites on here.  The magnets don't get gross from stove being nearby because I laminated them.  I can't wait to do a little Christmas theme and so on.  Sad jelly pan turned happy message board!

Here are some other new Thanksgiving items about my house:
I borrowed this idea from here.  I found a font from dafont.com that I liked and downloaded it, sized it on a PowerPoint slide and projected it on this $10 drop cloth from Wal-mart. 
I used a brown sharpie so that it would be permanent for washing and allow me to simply paint inside the lines.  I folded the dropcloth over a piece of pegboard I had and leaned it up against a bed, setting my laptop and projector on the floor.
 It's not perfect, but I love it!
 I found my paint at JoAnn Fabrics and used an angle brushes in two sizes to paint in the letters.  I heat sealed it with my iron and washed it successfully.  If you use a drop cloth, it will roll up in the wash and the edges will fray.  If you don't like that look, use a regular tablecloth or seal the edges.
Printable Source
 I framed a few cute printables you will find on my Autumn Pinterest board as well.
I love decorating the mantel and used this printable to do so.

We're looking forward to celebrating with our family this weekend and through next week.

Chris and I are going on an overnight trip this week, but he doesn't know where so I'm very excited to reveal that plan.  His birthday is the same day as Thanksgiving so this is a chance to make him feel special in advance.  He'll be 33 - whoa - he's really getting up there :)

It's going to be 60 here today so we're heading to the zoo before an OT appointment.  Deane is VERY excited!

I might just have a few more Thanksgiving updates yet to come...we shall see.

5 comments:

  1. The message board turned out just lovely! Great upcycle potential too!

    :)

    Gaylene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super clever idea with that cookie sheet! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Love the Keep Calm sayings... I've never heard yours before, but love it!
    Leanne @ Because (I Think) I Can

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute stuff! I love how you wrapped the pan in burlap, very creative!

    ReplyDelete