Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"I Will Rise"

When I have a day like today, I often think to "blog it out" and sometimes I even draft it, but its exhausting to experience it and then to write it out and by time I'm editing it, I'm over it.  But I want to share it because it's important to be able to reflect on our progress in the future and for others to understand my son and other kids like him. 

My children slept until 8AM...this has never happened. I guess God thougt I could use a little extra rest to make it through.  As I got the kids ready, I also prepped for our day out.
We visited the Family Museum.  The train table is the area that makes me most nervous because it requires sharing and is Deane's favorite.  A mom with her two children joined us there.  Her kids were awesome and played with 1 or 2 trains that Deane wasn't and let him run his 6 car train all over the table.  Kate eventually wanted in.  She is used to grabbing for his stuff.  During this time, the mom and I are chatting and she even invited me to a playgroup from her church.  Deane became distracted with something nearby so another little girl picked up his train.  He noticed (as he always does) and quickly grabbed a couple cars from her.  I intervened, reminded him we must share.  Deane's reaction to his frustration isn't verbal.  He hasn't figured out how to process these feelings and communicate them.  He decided to hit Kate.  I was requiring him to say "sorry" to the other little girl (which he  maybe/kind of did) but I told him we would have to go because there is no hitting or grabbing.  I knew it was about to hit the fan if we kept playing there and thought this was the ultimate punishment, to remove him from the train altogether.  The first mom was so sweet to tell me her name and nice to meet me as I was trying to resolve this.  I figured she was thinking why did I invite this crazy crew to our playgroup.  I walked them over to Kate's stroller to buckle her in.  Deane bolted and pushed the little girl at the train table.  I apologized to the girl's stunned grandma who sat with her mouth open and didn't say a word.  I carried a yelling and flopping Deane out. 
We didn't have enough time to go home before our afternoon appointment so we met Chris for lunch.  Deane looked alarmed going through the line at Qdoba (where we chose because I had a coupon but forgot to use!).  He just folded into Chris.  Fortunately, it was nice enough to sit outside so Deane could recline into a chair and get away from the noise.  Chris reminded me that I'm doing the right thing by continuing to try and give Deane new opportunities and that I shouldn't hide at home.  Then Chris dumped my drink on the ground :)
Next we had to go to occupational therapy.  Deane was upset on the way and as we arrived, repeating NO over and over.  In the waiting room, we repeated the sharing "teaching" (aka refereeing) until it was time for him to go back.  He did fine in his session (with the exception of screaming about the idea of touching shaving cream), but afterward wanted to take their dinosaurs with him even though we have several plastic dinosaurs at home.  He screamed and cried while we left, changed his diaper and drove home, for about 25 minutes, until he passed out.  Just after he fell asleep, I heard Steve Shawn McDonald's "Rise".  It's such an uplifting song and a reminder to get back up. 
I'm so sorry that life is so frustrating for Deane and that seemingly small things cause him to behave in a way that label him and us.  BUT we will try again... 
Since both children are asleep, I am quickly typing this up (sorry no editing today) and running downstairs to watch a little Real Housewives, but only because it would be inappropriate to have a margarita at 3PM....I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment