Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Mom's Fall Fiesta (Classic)

You may have heard about a little thing known as Game 6 of the World Series.  Although winning the series was the culmination, Game 6 was extra special to us, Cardinal fans.  It was so exciting with its ups and downs and repeated comebacks by the Cards.  It was also my Mom's birthday.
She has sacrified her big day to the baseball gods more than once.  My dad actually cancelled her surprise 30th birthday party because the Cards were in the Fall Classic.  But she's a good sport (no pun intended) so our little family got together and I tried to make it slightly festive. 
Who knew you could do a Fall Fiesta?  We had a nacho bar.

I made a red velvet fall themed cake.  I have used Wilton icing coloring for this cake and Kate's cake and it's very cost effective when you need bold color.  I used this recipes for the cake and the icing
Deane helped to blow out the candles and eat the cake, of course.
I didn't write this post about the Cardinals or my red velvet cake though.  I wrote this post because my Mom's birthday being swept in with the game mid-week is representative of how life is when you're a mom and particularly my mom.  Moms share their celebrations and I'm sure Mom was happier to have most of us in one place at home watching a baseball game than she would have been to go out for a fancy dinner without her kids or grandchildren. 
Since the time Deane was born, Mom has been the 2nd in line caregiver for my children.  When I was working, she was always the one to watch them and since Kate was born, she would come to my house so it was more convenient for us and I could see them at lunchtime.  I know this is uncommon and very special. 
I'm, of course, eternally grateful for the privilege of knowing exactly how my children will be cared for, having a great deal of flexibility in making my plans, and the dishes, laundry, etc. that she does in addition to watching my kids!  BUT I even more appreciate that it's impossible to hire someone to love your children the way Mom loves my kids.  It's a relationship changing, life altering thing to have a grandma so willing to devote her time, energy and love to your children.  I certainly do not take it for granted and recognize how lucky I am.

I love you, Mom!  I'm so glad to spend your birthday with you, but also to spend so many of our days together talking, planning, dreaming, and making my children's lives so rich and special.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Paula! Thanks for being such a wonderful Grandma to Deaners and Kate. It is such a privilege to have a loving Gma like you, as Annie so greatfully expressed in her post!

    ReplyDelete