Friday, December 2, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Crafts: Pointsettia Pillow

Chris and I visited a Pottery Barn while on our overnight to Madison and came across this beautiful pillow:
Here is where I found the listing, but it says it's no longer available
I commented on how much I liked it and my husband said, "You can make that!".  What a guy!  I left confident that I could make it myself and bought another pillow with some very old gift cards (from our wedding 8 years ago!).  By the time I made it home, I saw there were a couple other diy pointsettia pillows on Pinterest.  I still had major motivation to save the money and I had a pillow that had "lost" (aka Deane pulled them off) its buttons (you might remember my use for those buttons).
 I used ivory felt sheets from Jo-Ann's Fabrics.  They are $.34 each and I used 2.5 to make the pillow.  I free drew the leaves of various sizes.
 I laid them out to make sure it looked like a poinsettia before stitching them on.
 I used same color heavy thread.
 I did large visible stiches down the middle to simulate a petal/leaf vein.  I tied off in the middle of the flower and tucked my initial knots under the leaf.
 Here are all of the leaves attached.
 I decided to use a Christmas Red bell.  A package of 8 cost $.89 at Jo-Ann's.  I made sure to wrap each bell several times between stitches in case Deane decides to play football with this pillow.
 And here's the final product.
With the thread, I believe it cost me under $4.50.  With the original being unavailable and previously far more expensive than my cost, this was another quick and thrify Christmas craft.

1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous! I think I like yours better than the store-bought one! And how sweet is you hubby! He knows how creative you can be!

    ReplyDelete