Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Making Tough Decisions

Dearest You (because if you are taking time to read my blog, you are dear to me!),
Chris and I recently went through this How To on Creating a Family Mission Statement. We had done this before we had children using Stephen Covey's How to Develop a Family Mission Statement (there is a newer version available on CD).  It's a good exercise.

Since then, my mind is rather preoccupied by BIG questions...

Are we really pursuing our dreams and seeking our purpose?  Do those things go hand in hand?

Are our big choices consistent with our mission - where we live, what we do, how we live?

Should we be living somewhere else to get the best services possible for Deane?  And would another option be equally good for Kate?

If we didn't live here, where would we want to go?

We don't have to change anything or everything today, but our experiences with Deane's early intervention and the heartache we've witnessed/experienced in recent years remind us the time is sooner, not later.  Part of our mission is "to embrace life fully"; we have to make sure we are doing that.  We recognize that much of the stress and hurt we have seen would not have been felt if others didn't embrace life.  We accept that failure, pain, stress, loss, and frustration are the risks of really living.  We believe the rewards can be overwhelmingly better than the risks.

Knowing our time is limited, how can we wait for later to dream big, dive in, aim high (feel free to insert your favorite cliches here)?  But the question remains, how do you know in which direction to take your next step?

If you have discovered fail proof, efficient methods for making life's tough decisions, please feel free to comment below.  I tease, but I also know that some of my readers are people who have taken a BIG risks - I have learned much from you and will continue to watch you, Embracer of Life.

Best Regards,
Annie

P.S.
I'm also wondering a lot lately....How in the world do you effectively discipline a 3 year old, let alone a 3 year old on the autism spectrum?
Slightly less monumental, but equally encompassing for me :)

P.P.S.
If you enjoy thinking about crazy places you might go to embrace life, I recommend Cup of Jo's Travel Fantasy posts.  Photos of crazy waterslides and restaurant islands seem to lighten up my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment