Monday, October 17, 2011

Delicious Dry Rub Ribs

I don't like barbecue sauce.  Growing up, I avoided anything that was considered "barbecued" because I thought that meant it involved the taste of barbecue sauce.  On a trip to Memphis about five years ago, my husband introduced me to Rendezvous Ribs delicious dry rub ribs.  You can have sauce too, but you don't need it! 

The atmosphere at Rendezvous is as enjoyable as the ribs.  Their seasoned servers can be heard offering "Plate a ribs, pitcher beer?"  We haven't been to Memphis since my first visit, so we needed to improvise.

Last night my family spent the evening watching (and then celebrating) the St. Louis Cardinals and eating ribs.  Here's how we make them:
I buy what Hy-Vee calls Country Style Pork Ribs.  You can find them on sale for as low as 1.99/lb. in our area.


To get started, make your dry rub.  You can find several recipes for Rendezvous' dry rub, but I think you can use a little of most anything you have.  I will asterisk the ingredients I think are most important to the flavor.

Salt
Ground Pepper*
Paprika*
Celery Salt*
Celery Seed
Ground Oregano
Allspice
Cayenne (Red Pepper)*
Garlic Salt or Powder*
Onion Powder*
Chili Powder
Ground Coriander

I don't measure, I just throw it in.  I try to make about 3 tablespoons worth for the approximate 4 pounds of ribs. 
Then add about 1/4-1/2 cup of vinegar and equal parts water.  Mix.
Pour over the ribs in a tight container and refrigerate for as long as you can.  I usually let them marinade for a few hours.
Chris does the grilling at our house.  We like to charcoal our ribs.  I love the way it smells and tastes.  The following is Chris's rib grilling strategy in his words:
I light mostly charcoal and a few chunks of hickory.  I let it burn with the lid open for about 20 minutes.  Then I spread the coals evenly and put on the ribs.  I immediately baste them with their marinade making sure to get the liquid and remnant dry seasoning on the ribs.  Ten to fifteen minutes later I baste them again and repeat this ten to fifteen minutes later, then flip them and baste again.  One more basting ten to fifteen minutes later and then they are usually ready in a few minutes."
So if you lost count, that is five bastings over 33-48 minutes.  Precision is what we are offering today!  :)
The USDA changed pork cooking standards earlier this year.  I really like having the ribs a little pink and juicy, but of course cook them to your liking.

Can you imagine a group of people that don't want their picture taken while collecting their dinner?
Chris displaying his rib. 
My sister and brother loading up their plates...so happy I'm taking their picture.
Dad displaying his Cardinal pride.

At least I didn't take photos of them actually eating ribs. 
Enjoy your ribs!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Please post this, and anything else you may have,in my link party at
    http://diycraftstomake.blogspot.com/

    Thanks,

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete