Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sick family & Cauliflower Soup

I've been sick for almost two weeks and Deane has been for about a week.  Chris has been sick for about 24 hours and I admit, I do not have a lot of compassion for my sick husband sometimes.  Baby Kate is also enjoying a runny nose and little cough - so sad.

I went back to work for the first time and although it was valuable, I had to run home to feed Kate because she was screaming and I think I'd rather have stayed home.  We'll see as I work more.

We had to meet with Deacon Chuck tonight about Kate's baptism and while we were there, Mom started dinner for us.  We tried Christina Hendricks' (Joan from Mad Men) Cauliflower Soup recipe that she made on the Rachael Ray show.  Here it is:

Christina Hendricks' Cauliflower Soup (with my ingredient changes)


Ingredients
• 6 slices of bacon, chopped
• 1 large yellow onions, chopped
• 1 ½ cups celery, chopped
• 6 garlic cloves, minced
• 12 cups cauliflower (2 large heads), chopped in 1’’ pieces
• 8 cups chicken broth
• 1 bag Mozzerella cheese
• 1 cup heavy cream
• Salt and black pepper, to taste
• Crumbled bacon and fresh herbs for garnish
Yields: Serves 8

Directions
Sauté bacon in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat until golden brown; set aside a few pieces to crumble as garnish.

Add onion, celery and garlic. Cover; cook until veggies are soft, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.

Add cauliflower, broth, and cheese; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 20 minutes.

Puree soup in batches in a blender.

Return to pan, add cream; let soup simmer. Thin with more broth if needed. Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle into bowls; top with cheese shavings, bacon, any fresh herbs (like tarragon), and a tiny drizzle of truffle oil – a little goes a long way.

Verdict: 7.5/8 it was pretty good.  It suggests white truffle oil which would be delish, but it's not very budget friendly.  She suggeste a 3" block of romano cheese.  When I put the cheese in, it just sort of clumped so maybe a different choice would have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment