Monday, January 23, 2012

Catching Up

It's been a month since my last post.  It's occurred to me several times that it had been a long time, but I haven't felt compelled to write or craft or report on autism.  I don't like to do things out of obligation (this has only changed in the last year...I never liked to, but I often did things out of obligation) so I'm only now coming back to write some thoughts down.  Sorry for the randomness of topics.

I came into 2012 very positive.  I felt like we, as a family, have learned much in the last year about the irrelevance of "things" and the relevance of so many intangible parts of our lives.  I still have high hopes for this year.  Unfortunately, in just the small community I grew up in, there has been much pain and sadness at the loss of special people.  Theirs is not my story to tell, but I finally feel that my heart is in the right place to recognize God's guidance and direction in these inexplicable tragedies.  I feel my mind turning to prayer upon news of something scary or sad before worry creeps in.  I'm ecstatic about this and feel hungry for more. 
My current mantle
Here's where I found this printable: Source

We have also been doing a bit of school touring as we're planning to move in the coming months to a new district. I am unsure of when we will send Deane to school, but we want to be in the right place when that happens. We have been doing some home school programming. It's been very limited, but positive.  I am starting to see Kate's "smarts" showing up as she picks up details or responds to words I had no idea she knew.  This is exciting and I look forward to learning more about how my two little ones learn best. 

Sweet Kate often depicted by our photos...she is sweet, but...

"Real" Kate who we often refer to as "wild woman" :)

There is some hub bub about a proposed change to the definition of autism by the American Psychiatric Association.  The idea is to consolidate the broad autism spectrum, but the concern is that this will disqualify many from services.  The linked article actually states that up to 85% of all PDD-NOS diagnosed (like Deane) may no longer qualify for diagnosis.  This is only an issue for us if insurance would not recognize his current diagnosis and cover services that we are only now hoping to get covered (maybe I'll tell that story in another post).  We used a small amount of these services last year (ABA) along with our speech and OT and our insurance was raised the maximum amount.  I share this only to create further understanding.  The results of this potential change will be revealed over time, so we shall not fret.

Deane has been lucky enough to participate in a swimming program for special needs kids run by local high school and college students.  There was an article with a few photos of him in the local paper last week.  (Notice, there is one comment on the article.  I couldn't agree more with it. LOL)  It's an awesome opportunity and we are impressed with these great kids (both students and teachers).  This last weekend was their end of session party and Deane "jumped" off the diving board four times.  We're proud parents.
Jumping..

Teachers and students


I have also gotten back involved with the Erika Kate Foundation, helping with marketing.  I took a hiatus after Deane's diagnosis to get a handle on our life, but I feel lucky to be jumping back on board of this amazing organization.  EKF assists families of children with life threatening cardiac illnesses by providing spiritual, emotional and financial support.  Erika Kate also happened to be the daughter of my cousin, Traci, and her husband, Rich.  They co-founded the organization not long after Erika passed in 2006 and today are helping families in several heart centers across the country.  It is particularly special for me to help because Traci has always been a role model for me and throughout her life, she always made time to be a part of my life.  I'm so grateful to have anything to offer EKF.  In a recent email to me, Traci thanked me for helping out and said "I know there will be blessing in it for you, dear one."  The line struck me as something a wise character in a movie would say to someone just beginning a journey.  It felt like it will apply not only to my time with EKF, but my outlook on 2012. 

Blessing for you and your family too!



No comments:

Post a Comment